Re: CDROM jukebox filesystem using autofs

Aaron Passey (aaronp@ofb.net)
30 Apr 1998 18:16:38 GMT

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998 10:10:57 -0500, Dan A. Dickey <ddickey@wamnet.com> wrote:
>Aaron Passey wrote:
>> There are several problems I am running into with this approach.
>> First of all, what do I do if I have 4 drives, all mounted and busy, and I
>> get a request for a fifth disk?
>
>return EBUSY.

Are you suggesting that when disks 1-4 are mounted and busy and I do an
ls on /autofs/5, the ls gets an EBUSY? This doesn't make much sense. Normal
small CDROM jukeboxes I have seen working under Linux allow you to have all of
the disks mounted and they swap disks as necessary. These are done by
multiplexing at the block device level so you get a /dev/scd0 - /dev/scd5 for a
6 disk changer. The jukebox I am writing a driver for has hundreds of disks so
it seems impractical to do this -- hence my autofs approach. Using the autofs
model, the only choices I have are to grant a request from the kernel or say it
doesn't exist (the process gets a File not Found and a negative dentry is
created). I can modify autofs to also support sending an EBUSY but is this
desired?

>> I can't open a drive and swap disks since they are all mounted and I can't
>> unmount any of them since they are busy. I really want to remove a disk
>> from a drive, block all processes requesting data off of that disk, and put
>> the other disk into the drive to complete the request for the fifth disk.
>> This, of course, could make a disk swapping nightmare but at least it would
>> work.
>It seems like you'd have an awful lot of information to keep track of.First
>just try not granting the request (EBUSY), and then add this feature
>enhancement if you insist.

This doesn't seem like an optional feature to me. The whole goal is to
make the jukebox look like one huge filesystem with all of the CDs always
available.

Aaron