Re: [DOC] VFS draft 1

Benjamin C.R. LaHaise (blah@kvack.org)
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 12:55:09 -0400 =?ISO-8859-1?Q?(8UU=01?=)

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:
> I basically wrote this because when I implemented devfs I had to do it
> the hard way: read the sources. I found
> Documentation/filesystems/vfs.txt to be incomplete, misleading and out
> of date (I don't mean to denigrate the efforts of the author of
> vfs.txt, I appreciate the work that was done, and it certainly
> provided me with a starting point for devfs).

It was never meant to actually get put into the main tree as it stood; for
that matter, I don't even know how it got there! ;-)

> I'd appreciate comments on this document.

My first quick readover of the document gives me a sense that it is a
pretty good overview. I'm wondering if you could add a few more details
describing the expected semantics of the inode/dentry operations (little
things like saying that write is called with the inode lock held, whereas
read must be threaded). I hope that for 2.3 a more rigorous specification
will be written (who knows, I might do this) before the cleanup of the
dentry/inode boundries -- I believe that things like lofs have become
substantially messier with the new VFS, somewhat the opposite of the
intended effect. In any case, many thanks for writing updated docs.

-ben