Re: Shared PCI/SCSI interrupt

Richard Waltham (dormouse@farsrobt.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 10:55:52 +0100 (BST)

David Woodhouse wrote:

> adi@drcomp.erfurt.thur.de said:
> > As the developer of the ncr53c8xx-scsi-part told me, linux is unable
> > to use shared interrupts between SCSI and Network on the PCI-slot. How
> > should I manage this ?
>
> ISTR I managed it simply by adding a "SA_SHIRQ" flag at convenient point in
> the SCSI driver and making the use of SA_INTERRUPT agree between it and the
> 3c59x driver. I forget which I changed.
>
> Not particularly good for performance perhaps, but it worked. I was happily
> writing CDs on the thing while using it as a router. Admittedly it was only
> routing on Nortel's Powerline mains power network stuff, so the traffic through
> the ethernet wasn't exactly killing it, but it was quite happy.

I'm using the ncr53c8xx driver (ncrBsd2Linux) with 2 controllers and a
Kingston NIC with the de4x5. All share the same interrupt and I have no
problems although _very_ heavy disk i/o can cause an occasional short delay
on the network. Other than this every thing works just fine.

 Richard Waltham   |               Work: richard@digtalinterface.demon.co.uk
   At home in      |               Home:       dormouse@farsrobt.demon.co.uk
 Southampton UK    |                              100421.1276@compuserve.com