Re: varlinks! (and 2.1.98 works for me)

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 01:08:51 +0200 (MET DST)

Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > > No, no, no... you could potentially trick an app into indirecting
> > > though a symlink it otherwise wouldn't have indirected through,
> > > getting unauthorized access to a file.
> >
> > So, I still don't get it. Explain please....
> >
> > You mean something like
>
> What about:
>
> I tell at to run job /tmp/program. Tmp in fact is symlink to
> /.tmp/${UID}. At checks that I have privileges to /tmp/program, and
> places '/tmp/program' in some kind of list of things to do.
>
> Some time later, cron looks, and sees that luser cracker wants to exec
> /tmp/program. But, due to some things, /tmp is no longer pointer to
> /.tmp/crackeruid, it is pointer to /.tmp/gooduid. But cron does not
> know that. Cron does not check permissions, now. It already done
> so. So it executes /tmp/program. But it executes _other_, potentially
> secret, /tmp/program.

Any program that falls for this kind of problem ALREADY HAS a security
problem: anything can have changed "/tmp/program". It could have been
simply a symlink pointing here (access allowed) or there (no access
allowed).

I still don't see how varlinks reduce security.

Roger.

--
If it's there and you can see it, it's REAL      |___R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl  |
If it's there and you can't see it, it's TRANSPARENT |  Tel: +31-15-2137555  |