Re: 2.1.98 /lib/libc.so.6: undefined symbol: _i|oa_lower_digits

Thomas Wouters (thomas@xs4all.nl)
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 14:30:58 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Dieter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?N=FCtzel ?= wrote:

> Get sporadically this message since 2.1.96.
> With higher kernel number I get more and more:-(

> Some examples with and without this problem. Yes I get a '|' and not a
> 't' character.
> SunWave1>l
> ls: error in loading shared libraries
> /lib/libc.so.6: undefined symbol: _i|oa_lower_digits

[snip]

Silly as it may sound, this might very well be a hardware problem. A friend
of mine had it, too, with his brand new PC. Worked fine under Windows and
FreeBSD, but Linux would occasionally (about every other command) give
'undefined symbol'. I believe it was perror, but i'm not sure.

In any case, we decided to check the memory, tuned it from 60 to 70 ns, and
the problem was gone. As for why it is worse in higher numbers, well, a lot
has been changed in the memmanager code, lately, i think :-)

Regards,
Thomas.