Clustering on Linux Was: "Re: New dad (again).."

Sebastian Taralunga (seba@tcx.kappa.ro)
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 09:52:11 +0300 (EET DST)

On Tue Apr 28, George wrote:

> > I fail understand what 'clustering' means. Is it as in 'Microsoft
> > Cluster Server'? 'Microsoft Cluster Server' is (it says here) a
> > technology in 'Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Enterprise Edition' (wonder what
> > that means) which allows a server to have a 'backup server', so that if
> > the first server crashes, the second server can keep on (they share the
> > same hard disk via SCSI). But Linux doesn't crash, so why should we have
> > it? Well, perhaps Linus does...
> >
> > Anyway, what does clustering mean in this context?
>
> microsoft never got the term "clustering" ... what they meant was server
> redunduncy. clustering is putting more computers together on a fast bus
> and have them run processes in parael while talking something like MPI
> to get things to run fast
>
> George

Hello George,

A friend of mine working for Microsoft is asking me (and I quote):

|| BTW: does Linux know about clusters? As far as I know, no.
|| NT5 knows already and this makes it less prone to attacks..

Which proves that indeed what they understand by "clustering". But what
really is clustering, and does linux support it?

Regards,

Sebastian