Re: faster strcpy()

Sun, 26 Apr 1998 23:59:14 -0400 (EDT)

On 27 Apr 1998, Michael O'Reilly wrote:
[SNIPPED for brevity]
This is my last response on this subject.

> And each word is 4 bytes, so you're taking 6 clocks per word + const,
> or 1.5 clocks per byte + const.

In the exampled cited, each word is 2 bytes. Words have always been
two bytes. Longwords have 4 bytes. A longword copy requires more
overhead in setting up plus it has to copy possibly 3 unaligned
bytes.

> Have you actually tried benchmarking this? It's kinda hard to argue
> with the facts.

The benchmark has been submitted.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.92 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).