Re: weird 3c590 problems

Mike (mike@oakley.keble.ox.ac.uk)
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 02:58:18 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Paul Miller wrote:

> I'm using kernel 2.0.32 with the Vortex 3c59x.c:v0.99 4/7/98 by Donald
> Becker Linux driver. The only other patches are ipportfw and
> cyrix-support-2.
>
> I have a local network running a 3c590 on eth0. Sometimes when a win95
> machine plays an mp3 song (over samba) with several other connections, the
> connection freezes. The win95 machine can not ping my Linux box, but it
> can ping other computers on the local net. My Linux box _can_ ping the
> win95 machine... Sometimes I need to reboot _both_ machines in order to
> reconnect that win95 machine. The win95 machine has a regular ne2000
> clone, which has never had any problems..
>
> With the 2.0.32 3c59x net driver, I'd usually see 'eth0: transmit timed
> out, Tx status set to 8000' (then to e000) messages..
>
> This is the first time this has occurred w/ the new driver and the only
> message I saw around the same time is:
>
> Warning: dev (03:00) tty->count(1) != #fd's(2) in release_dev
>
> which I don't know if it has anything to do with the card... I did have
> one telnet connection running when it died.
>
> Anyone experiencing/ed similar problems? Any possible solutions?

I get a similar effect in 2.1.9[67]. It seems to happen when there is a
lot of network traffic - the network seems to take itself totally down or
start going incredibly slow. I found that it could be fixed by doing
ifconfig eth0 down ; ifconfig eth0 up without rebooting.

--
Mike <rickettm@ox.compsoc.net>

Stealing a rhinoceros should not be attempted lightly.