Re: Linux-2.1.98.. - kmod

Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@ibm.net)
Sun, 26 Apr 1998 13:17:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 25 Apr 1998, Greg Zornetzer wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>

> > I just released a fairly small patch to 97 to bring it up to 98.

> Finally: user feedback. Since seeing this patch come out, I have seen it
> fail only once, and that was on an Alpha, reported by Steve Hirsch.
> Subsequent investigation showed that the problem lay in the setting of the
> sigmask, and has been fixed in the last two patches. I have heard of no
> failures with the latest patch on any architecture.
>
> In short, it seems to work. Linus, I hope you find this feedback useful.

Hmm. Not so fast... With 2.1.98 + daemonless kmod I'm seeing some
strangeness during init and shutdown. Between the time that the first
module is loaded by kmod and the appearance of the login prompt, all
syslog and screen output is missing in action. Ditto on shutdown; no
screen output or logging after 'nfsd stop'.

I've isolated this to the daemonless-kmod patch, and it's 100% repeatable
on a 6x86 box here. To make matters worse, my 486/100 box (with the same
kernel and patch level) refuses to run rpc.mountd during init. If I
start it by hand afterwards, all is well. When I put 'echo ..' statements
into the init script, nothing appears!

So, something's still not quite right. Any ideas for troubleshooting?
This one's got me stumped.

Steve