A20 line problems (was Re: Gateway 9100 laptop randomly reboots...)

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Sun, 26 Apr 1998 13:05:56 -0400 (EDT)

Pavel Machek writes:

>> I have a Gateway 9100 laptop which is happily running linux except
>> for one problem. About 5 times out of 6 when it reboots and lilo
>> goes to start linux I get a spontaneous reboot after the:
>
> Try disabling L1 cache in bios.
>
> Then try disabling L2 cache in bios.
>
> Then try looking at settings about a20 line.
>
> Try booting it with grub, loadlin, ... etc.
>
> You might want to introduce huge fields of nops to flush caches in
> case hw does not do that on hw toggle.

As I understand it, the PC boots with every odd MB of RAM mapped
over the even MB of RAM that follows it. Linux loads into the first
odd MB of RAM... why? IMHO that is just asking for problems.
Wouldn't it be better to load at 2 MB or 4 MB? Then perhaps read
a few MB after the A20 line has been fixed.