Re: Linux-2.1.98..

Bill Broadhurst (bbroad@CX492564-a.dt1.sdca.home.com)
Sun, 26 Apr 1998 08:18:07 -0700

Linus, After reading David's account of oopsen on the patch you sent I
decided to try the patch you sent to the list. I get the same thing.
The kernel that works here has a vanilla .98 without floppy and the
patch (below) to enable_ioapic_irq().

On Fri, Apr 24, 1998 at 10:25:12PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Actually, upon looking at this, the way I'd like you to test these is to
> make enable_ioapic_irq() look like:
>
> void enable_ioapic_irq (unsigned int irq)
> {
> unsigned long flags;
>
> spin_lock_irqsave(&irq_controller_lock, flags);
> disabled_irq[irq] = 0;
> spin_unlock_irqrestore(&irq_controller_lock, flags);
> }
>
> (ie avoid all the clever self-calling stuff: the IO-APIC is a fragile
> beats and can get upset if it has too many pending interrupts). And leave
> "disable_ioapic_irq()" the way it is.

Whatever else you added to this patch is munging up the code. I'll
cc it to the list for David and co.