Re: enable_ioapic_irq broken in arch/i386/kernel/irq.c

Steven Ireland (stevei@earthworks.com.au)
Sun, 26 Apr 1998 08:31:04 GMT

On Sat, 25 Apr 1998 22:50:48 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Apr 1998, David Woodhouse wrote:
>>
>> torvalds@transmeta.com said:
>> > Would some io-apic people try out this patch to irq.c (patch against
>> > 2.1.98)? It simplifies the irq handling quite a bit, I'd like to hear
>> > whether it is stable for you..
>>
>> It appears to be utterly buggered.
>
>;)
>
>Which just shows hor differently different machines can react. I have one
>pretty positive report already, and now one which calls it "utterly
>buggered".
>
>Oh, well.

I can confirm that the changes kill my SMP box completely. A whole string of
errors appeared, ending in 2 'Aiee, killing interrupts handler' messages.

A quick check seemed to indicate it died in del_timer. I'm rebuilding it now
with serial console to capture the full details. Detailed analysis to follow.

System is a dual PPro-200, IDE & AHA2970A, disks on both IDE & SCSI.

With a bare 2.1.98, this system boots sometimes. When it fails to boot, it stops
just after the FDC identification message. When it completes the boot it seems
to work perfectly.

The system is much more likely to boot into 98 if I boot into 96 first. Possibly
96 initialises something ?

Steve.