Re: Strange behaviour of devfs wrt /dev/tty

Richard Gooch (Richard.Gooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU)
Sun, 26 Apr 1998 15:22:42 +1000

Gerhard Mack writes:

> I get this without devfs.
>
> On Sun, 26 Apr 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:
>
> > Roderich Schupp writes:
> > > I noticed the following strange behaviour with devfs (patch-v27,
> > > kernel 2.1.98). If some program opens /dev/tty (e.g. "cat < /dev/tty")
> > > /dev/tty suddenly changes owner/group (to the uid/gid of the
> > > program opening the device) and permissions (600). The problem is:
> > > all other processes on the system see the _same_ permissions
> > > of /dev/tty. Shouldn't that be visible only to the processes with
> > > the same controlling terminal?

So you are getting /dev/tty ownership/permissions changes *without*
devfs? That's strange. What are the permissions before and after some
random user opens /dev/tty ?

Regards,

Richard....