Re: faster strcpy()

BlueFlux (blueflux@technologist.com)
Sun, 26 Apr 1998 01:04:51 +0200 (MET DST)

On 25 Apr 1998, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Alexander Kjeldaas <astor@guardian.no> writes:
> > inlined 'mov' instructions. This was not done for the pentium which as
> > a much simpler "RISC"-like internal design.
>
> The Pentium indeed has a much simpler design. But RISC-like, no. Not even
> between a handful of quotes. A "RISC-like" internal design cannot exist since
> RISC refers to a style of instruction sets and has nothing whatsoever to do
> with any implementation style.

Sorry to ask this but as i remember it from the ol' days when I was using
Amiga and They where preparing to jump over to RISC cpu's at first, i read
an article about RISC's. Anyways, i got the impression that RISC was not
an special style of instructions, but just another 'class' of cpu's where
you used a much smaller set of instructions with no regard to _what_
instructions. Could someone explain to me, im but a mere mortal here=)

http://blueflux.home.ml.org