Re: lp.c in 2.0.x

Andrea Arcangeli (arcangeli@mbox.queen.it)
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 15:21:57 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 25 Apr 1998, Wolfgang Walter wrote:

>Hi !
>
>I have a problem with lp in 2.0.x when printing with plp spooler system on
>faster machines to a FS-600 using IRQ's (normal and epp/ecp modes). I don't
>have this problems when I use a pentium 120 or when I use polling mode. The
>problem is that only parts get printed. The following patch fixes the problem,
>so I'm not shure why it exactly works. My real intention for this patch was to
>observe the interrupts more easily. Can it be that on faster machines plp
>can close the line bevor all is printed?
>
>If anyone has similar problems, does this help, too?

Yes, some people reported similar problems with the 2.1.98 drivers and I
fixed the irq handling now (yesterday!!). Expect the fix in the official
kernel soon (I trust Linus will agree with the patch of course). Now the
patch is under testing (I just have some winner reports but I' d like to
wait a bit more).

>Here's the patch:

It force lp to don' t care about the interrupt so it' s the same of
working in polling, take a look at /proc/interrupt and you will see.

If you think that having lp interrupt driven working in all kind of
hardware is relevant for 2.0.x I could backport the patch for 2.0.34preX.
My patch also improve performance a lot, lp load my P266 CPU of 0.8%
during the printing! I' d like to be sure my interrupt fix will be applyed
to the official kernel before starting to backporting a patch with 2.2
soon.

Andrea[s] Arcangeli