Re: daemonless kmod & auto module unloading

Greg Zornetzer (gaz@andrew.cmu.edu)
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 17:16:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Rik van Riel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've seen all the threads regarding daemonless kmod
> and the resulting problems in losing module unloading
> capabilities.
Thing is that you don't lose any module unloading capabilities by putting
rmmod -a in your crontab vs. the original kmod or kerneld. They all call
delete_module(NULL) at regular intervals. Anything else would be a new
feature that would involve a decent amount of recoding. I still haven't
seen a good argument why this kind of change would be necessary. I don't
consider knowing that a module unloads at exactly 2 minutes after its
last usage instead of the current "module unloads between 1 and 2 minutes
after last usage" behavior.

> Well, since unloading modules is a question of memory
> saving, it could (arguably) be done by kswapd.
> And even if you don't think of it as clean, it could
> still be done :-)
True, but its as easily done in userspace.

As I see it, the only big current problem is the lack of a pre-remove and
post-remove option available for 'rmmod -a' and friends.

This may also be fixable in userspace.

Greg Zornetzer - gaz+@andrew.cmu.edu
"Light shines brightest in the darkest night"
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~gaz