Re: Linux-2.1.98..

Henrik Storner (storner@image.dk)
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 22:41:24 +0200

F Harvell <spam@fts.net>:

>On Fri, 24 Apr 1998 01:13:22 PDT, Bill Broadhurst wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 23, 1998 at 11:30:18PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> >
>> > I just released a fairly small patch to 97 to bring it up to 98.
>>
>> Seems to break my BusLogic controller. Hangs right after the floppy where it
>> would normally start the SCSI messages. Hard hang.

> Similar thing here. Two observations: 1) The hang was right after the "Floppy
> drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M, fd1 is 1.2M", but before the "FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077"

Seems that 2.1.98 hangs for a lot of people. But maybe the problem is with
the floppy driver ? I use a versioned kernel with no floppy driver built-in,
and 2.1.98 appears quite OK here.

My NCR810 SCSI controller and SCSI harddisk are also running fine.

Could someone who has experienced the lockups try booting a kernel without the
floppy driver ?

--
Henrik Storner  |  "testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good,