Re: USB Networking?

Philip Gladstone (philip@raptor.com)
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 15:34:31 -0400

Unfortunately this is not (yet) possible as the host end is
different to the device end. You would need a smart cable
that would connect the two host ends together. Such a cable is
being worked on, but it won't be cheap -- in particular a pair
of cheap 100Mbit ethernet cards with a crossover cable will
probably be cheaper.

Philip

Matt Nelson wrote:

> i know very little about network protocols, and even less about that USB
> thingy that comes standard on most PC's these days, but a thought occured
> to me:
>
> would it be possible to use USB for networking? from what i've heard, the
> speed of USB is similar to 10 Mbit ethernet. if this idea could work,
> then our PC's could be networked w/out having to buy NIC's.
>
> just a thought.
>
> -matt

Philip Gladstone                           +1 781 530 2461
Raptor Systems / Axent Technologies
Waltham, MA         		    http://www.raptor.com/