Re: SCSI networking?

Dan A. Dickey (ddickey@wamnet.com)
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 09:51:57 -0500

Mikael Klasson wrote:

> A friend of mine got a somewhat bizarre idea the other day:
>
> Would it be at all possible to somehow connect two computers via a scsi
> cable? Basically, I'd like to treat the other computer as if we were
> connected via a regular network. Are we loonies or is there a chance
> that something like this might actually be doable? Imagine a 40MB/s
> connection for the price of some cheap uw scsi gear... I realize that
> the cable length in uw scsi can't be very long but that's not a problem
> for me right now.
>
> Insanely laughing flames expected. =)
>
> Regards,
> Mikael Klasson

Not so bizarre at all. I had this same idea yearsago, way back in approx.
1986. I was learning to
write scsi tape/disk drivers at the time, and the
scsi protocol itself (being the i'll-do-everything
protocol that it is) lends itself pretty well to this idea.
I believe it had many definitions of what a target could be,
it included "host" (or something like that) right along with
the "disk" and "tape" targets - and provided a protocol for
hosts to talk to each other. This was a long time ago for me,
and was when scsi was *new*. I envisioned computers hooked together
via 20 foot scsi cables, able to communicate at blindingly fast
speeds compared to 10base2 (at the time, we used serial cables and
kermit - not even having a need to install ethernet yet). Anyways,
to make a long story short - I was being paid to write tape and
disk drivers, not "blue-sky" communications protocols; so my idea
went no where. And now I hear of it again. :)
-Dan

----
Dan A. Dickey
ddickey@wamnet.com