Re: Deadlock patch for kmod

Dieter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?N=FCtzel (nuetzel@kogs1.informatik.uni-hamburg.de)
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 15:02:24 +0200

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:

> Kevin Lentin writes:
> > On Thu, Apr 23, 1998 at 11:34:10AM +1000, Richard Gooch wrote:
> > > Hi, Linus. Below is a small patch that should fix a nasty
deadlock
> > > with kmod: if a modprobe initiated by kmod does something that
> > > triggers another module load request via kmod, we have a deadlock.
> > > hope I've got the process killing semantics correct.
> >
> > Is this the same problem that prevents the module probve for
> > scsi_hostadapter not to work. I've checked and the call is being
made, but
> > modprobe just never gets called. I presumed it was because the
> > initailisation of one module is calling another.

Is this the same problem that I can't use the hole SCSI module stack
(st, aic7xxx, scsi-base) a second time?
I use a HP DAT and AHA 2940UW only sometime (modules:-) , because I
haven't an ULTRA WIDE SCSI hard disk, now:-(

First time everything goes smooth, but second time I get a deadlock
(sometimes I can use sysReQ to 'unmount', sometimes I have to hard
reset) and have to reboot:-(

Regards,

Dieter

---
Dieter Nuetzel
Graduate Student, Computer Science

University of Hamburg Department of Computer Science Cognitive Systems Group Vogt-Koelln-Strasse 30 22527 Hamburg, Germany

email: nuetzel@kogs.informatik.uni-hamburg.de