Re: Choice of "XT PIC" in /proc/interrupts

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 10:23:52 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998 linker@nightshade.ml.org wrote:
> Linux supports OpenPIC???? COOL!

Sure it does :-)

I added support for it to get my board working, and the OpenPIC code has been
in the official 2.1.x tree for months (find -name "openpic*"). I wrote it to
the specs, not only caring about PPC but also about other CPUs, so it should be
rather easy to get it working on an Intel SMP (assumed you have a board with an
OpenPIC).

> What board do you have? Is it SMP, does Linux support non-intel SMP??

I have a CHRP (Common Hardware Reference Platform) PPC board. It's
uniprocessor. But due to the killing of CHRP by Apple in Sep 1997 you will
never be able to buy such a board, unless you order a bunch of 1000+.

> On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Aaron Tiensivu wrote:
> > > I've kind of wondered this ever since the new format went into the kernel.
> > > Wouldn't the interrupts above 8 be considered AT interrupts? The 0 thru 8
> > > were on the XT and then they kludged in another PIC that was cascaded from
> > > 2 to 9.
> > >
> > > Maybe just a simple "Standard PIC" on UP boxes and "APIC" for SMP boxes would
> > > be appropriate.
> > >
> > > Seeing "XT PIC" on makes it sound like my system is ooooooold. :)
> >
> > I'm happy I have some decent interrupt controller inside (next to two 82c59s
> > :-(
> >
> > CPU0
> > 1: 136 82c59 keyboard
> > 2: 0 82c59 cascade