Re: 2.1.97: Socket hangs in SYN_SENT

Giles D Malet (gdm@shrdlu.kw.net)
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 00:25:23 -0400 (EDT)

Thomas Quinot wrote :

> When trying to fetch news from a particular remote host
> (news.povray.org, if this matters), the NNTP sockets
> often (but not always) get stuck in SYN_SENT state

I'll second that. I run a mailing list with around 50 subscribers, and it
regularly jams up. I thought at first smail was doing it wrong, so tried
sendmail, but when the problem persisted I realised that pretty well
every time it jams the connection to one site in particular was stuck in
SYN_SENT. The only way to free it is to nuke sendmail and start it again.

This is with 2.1.94 and various previous versions.

I'll try the patch posted by Andi Kleen on the latest kernel and see
what happens.

gdm

--
Giles D /\/\alet                ---    O    O
+1 519 725 5726                 -- _ </<   <^-