Re: Lockups under 2.1.96...

Wed, 22 Apr 1998 08:29:01 -0400 (EDT)

Troy,

I've seen that type of behavior from time to time over the past two years
on several types of systems, including Linux.

There are some files in the system that get updated whenever a user logs
in, as well as processes that check for certain things (biff, for example)
before you get a login prompt.

Sometimes, one of these files gets corrupted and *bam* everything locks up
when you telnet in.

-----

While I can't even give you the slightest idea where the problem is or how
to fix it, I can give you a little bit of advice on how to resolve such an
issue like that remotely.

Check to see if you can run a process WITHOUT logging into the system,
i.e. with 'rsh', 'remsh', or 'ssh'. In order for this to be an option,
you must have inetd configured to run the proper daemons or have sshd
running on the machine.

If you are able to (and if you can do this as root), use one of those
programs to send the '/sbin/shutdown -r now' command. This will at least
reboot the machine and bring it to more of a "sane" state.

Linux, HP-UX, and MP-RAS seem to be afflicted with the same problem from
time to time. Again, I don't know the cause, just how to recover
sometimes.

Brian