Re: Updated PSS sound card CDROM port enabler plus SoundBlaster Emulation

Brian (barbacha@trill.cis.fordham.edu)
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 18:43:30 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

Both the code to enable the CDROM port and the code that enables
the SoundBlaster Emulation is now fully selectable in 'make menuconfig'.
If a user doesn't want either section of code included in his customized
sound driver then he can just leave the new options unselected. When the
option is unselected the associated code is not compiled into the driver
as it is surrounded by an #ifdef ... #endif block. And we probably do
have "legacy DOS games" to support as, according to DOSemu's
documentation, some DOS games run under DOSemu. If this is true then I am
certain someone somewhere is probably running an old favorite DOS game.
However, I do agree strongly that being able to enable the CDROM port is
an important issue. The main rational behind my writing this patch was to
allow PSS users to be able use their builtin CDROM ports, as the previous
PSS driver disabled the CDROM port along with SoundBlaster Emulation. I
included the code to enable SoundBlaster Emulation because I figured PSS
users should be able, if they wished, to make full use of their hardware.

- A. Barbachan