Re: Uploaded 2.0.34pre9

forcer (forcer@mindless.com)
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 15:39:53 +0200

On Mon, Apr 20, 1998 at 02:20:33PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
>> > It has some problem with gcc-2.8.1 with -mpentium optimization .
>> > I can not use X with the copy ioport.c from 2.1.97 that is used to work.
>> > Some program such as isapnp , clock does not work also , it make core dump .
>> > It works fine if compile with the usuall -m486 . Is it a compiler bug ?
>>
>> No its a bug in the older kernels. 2.0.x is known to compile correctly only
>> with gcc 2.7.x. If you use 2.8.x you are on your own.
>
>Maybe
>
>#if GCC_VERSION > 2.8.0
>#error Your compiler is too new, it compiles incorrect kernels
>#endif
>
>would do the job? :-) 2.0.34 is expected to be stable, and if it does
>cot compile well with 2.8.0, it is bug, and user should be warned.
I disagree.
First, it should be >= since 2.8.0 is the _buggy_ one. 2.8.1 is or of the
misfeatured one (or so).
Some apps require 2.8.1 already, and we shouldn't force anyone to have 2
compilers installed, one just for the occassional kernel compile ;)
(and not everyone has a girlfriend to warrant a 386 dedicated kernel compile
machine (DKCM) :)
So far, i know of one _big_ problem in arch/i386/kernel/ioport.c (which i
so far copied from 2.1.97), that could be fixed somewhat... like...

#if GCC_VERSION == 2.8.0
#error Your compiler is buggy, please up- or (better) downgrade
#endif

and in ioport.c some
#if GGC_VERSION > 2.8.0
to enable the work-around, maybe even a message in the bootup "non-compliant
compiler used, nothing guaranteed". And one should find and nail any other
incompatabilities ;)
Just my .2 YCS (your currency symbol)
-forcer

--
/* World domination. Fast. - Linus Torvalds                               */
/* email: forcer@mindless.com.skip -><- www: http://www.forcer.base.org/  */