Re: 2.1.96: L2 cache corruption?

Henner Eisen (eis@baty.hanse.de)
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 21:54:03 +0200

Hello,

Pavel Machek <pavel@elf.ucw.cz> writes:

> Hi!
>> I untar'red a kernel source tree under two different
>> directories. After that, a diff -r on the two diretories
>> randomly shows bogus differences although all files are
>> identical. This happens with 2.1.95 and 2.1.96. (the last
>> kernel I used before was 2.1.92 where I was at least not aware
>> of such behavior).

> Strange. Will machine do it again if you try?

It used to be very reproducable, but

> Ook, next test: Do hardware reset (really press button for me)
> before going to 2.0.33. If hardware reset does behave other
> than powerdown, your hardware is not too clean.

now, after powered down during the weekend, I'm trying. But [un]fortunatly
it is not reproducible any longer (maybe later). -:) / -:(

So this might also indicate a hardware problem. (Also, during the first boot
after the three days power down, the bios complained about unfinished last
boot and I had to run the bios setup.)

Henner