Re: Did anyone else notice?

David Woodhouse (Dave@imladris.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 19:13:46 +0200

> Thanks.. that makes sense.
>
> What was the new one added for?

I'm not entirely sure, but it was probably for one of three reasons:
1. Because it was fun.
2. Because it will make people happy.
3. By accident.

> On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Kevin Lentin wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 20, 1998 at 02:43:18AM -0400, Illuminatus Primus wrote:
> > > What is the sys_reboot() magic constant used for?
> >
> > I believe it is a safety mechanism to prevent the system call from being
> > triggered incorrectly. There are 4 magics, the first is 0xfee1dead and the
> > other 3 are 'special'. You need to quote the first and one of the other 3
> > to get it to happen. The 'special' ones have a cunning little meaning that
> > required a new one to be added due to recent events.

David Woodhouse, Robinson College, CB3 9AN, England. (+44) 0976 658355
Dave@imladris.demon.co.uk http://www.imladris.demon.co.uk
finger pgp@dwmw2.robinson.cam.ac.uk for PGP key.