Re: AWE64G PNP Help

Jeff Wiegley (jeff@la.usweb.com)
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 18:10:46 +0000

Tony Toole wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm currently trying to get my AWE64G card working under Linux (2.1.96)
> and am having some problems..
>
> Firstly, since this is a PNP device, I'm assuming I have to use isapnp to
> configure it, but I haven't the foggiest clue on how to go about this.
>
> If anybody has figured out how to successful setup this, or a classic AWE64
> card, please contact me.

I have a retail AWE64 and I don't have any problems with it under linux.
(Though I don't use it a lot and only for a few small things).

Anyways. Build a 2.0.33 kernel and include the sound driver support.
Treat the card like a SB16.

I have the IO base set to 0x220, the MPU401 set to 0x330 and the IRQ
set to 5, DMAs set to 1 and 5. (use -1 for the MPU IRQ)

other than that linux does not handle setting up the PnP stuff so either
you have to use isapnp or your computer's BIOS has to set the card up.
On my motherboard I discovered I had to set the "PnP OS" setting to
"no" so that the BIOS knew it had to take care of this instead of the
OS.

Then all worked for me.

- Jeff