Re: 2.0.34 & cyclades driver

Linux Lists (lists@cyclades.com)
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 07:51:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Jordan Mendelson wrote:

> Just wanted to note that the Cyclades driver included in 2.0.33 (and not
> changed by 2.0.34 is a nasty version which won't work with newer versions
> of GCC. I know 2.8.x isn't supported and all, but there are some actual
> bugfixes in the new 2.0.x series cyclades drivers.

Hi, Jordan,

Actually, the driver included in the kernels 2.0.x (1.36.3.9) does not
compile even in GCC 2.7.2.2 (well, actually it compiles, but it does not
work well - due to compiler optimization ...). The latest driver
(2.1.1.3a), which is available at our FTP site, compiles and works fine.

We've tried to submit the new driver (a while ago) to the kernel 2.0, but
since the new driver also includes support to the Cyclades-Z cards (which
is not available in the previous driver), it was considered a new feature
(not just a bugfix - which is true) and we could not submit it. It's
already included in the 2.1 kernel tree (with the applicable porting
changes) and, thus, will be available in the 2.2 kernels.

> I think the updated driver is @
>
> ftp://ftp.cyclades.com/pub/cyclades/cyclom-y/linux/v2.0

Yep, that's right.

If it's ok for Linus, I'd be more than happy to have the latest driver
version available in the standard kernel tree.

Regards,
Ivan Passos