Re: Device Naming under Linux [Long]

Richard Gooch (Richard.Gooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU)
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 22:18:06 +1000

Robert de Bath writes:
> > 2) user space symlinks are usually a bad idea.
> Agreed
>
> > 3) devfs
> I really dislike this, it feels a lot like putting /dev onto a ramdisk
> with a special program to copy stuff from /proc and gives me a really
> fragile feeling.

On the contrary, devfs is *quite* robust and clean. And it solves the
problem of major&minor sizes once and for all: you don't need them at
all! Devfs is not just /dev in a ramdisc. Read the README on it to see
why it's a good idea. Without devfs you need a sequence of hacks to
solve some of the problems.

Regards,

Richard....