Re: daemon-less kmod & Alpha no-go!

Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@ibm.net)
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 07:11:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, Adam J. Richter wrote:

> What do you mean "the execve() call gets back a successful status"?
> If it's successful, it does not return.

Sorry, poorly worded. What I meant was that execve() doesn't fail, i.e.
/sbin/modprobe _is_ actually run and the parent's wait() call gets back
a good status.

> If you're using anything
> but that 2.1.97 version, make sure that /sbin/modprobe is owned by
> root and not writable by group or other.

I'm using the 2.1.97 version, but modprobe is setup in the manner you
suggest.

> Try putting another program
> in /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe and seeing if that program executes.

I'll try that but, as my message stated, I inserted printf statements in
modprobe to echo the commandline. It shows clearly that modprobe is
invoked with the correct arguments.

> Good luck!

Thanks, I think this is going to be a subtle one to track down. Smart
money says it's a problem with Alpha kernel execve().

Steve