Re: [SMP patch] hard-lockup debugging, NMI-watchdog, 2.1.97

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
20 Apr 1998 01:25:09 +0200

MOLNAR Ingo <mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu> writes:

> On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Keith Owens wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 20 Apr 1998 00:41:15 +0200 (CEST),
> > MOLNAR Ingo <mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu> wrote:
> > >+extern spinlock_t console_lock;
> > >+ * since NMIs dont listen to _any_ locks, we have to be extremely
> > >+ * careful not to rely on unsafe variables. The printk might lock
> > >+ * up though, so we have to break up console_lock first ...
> >
> > But it does not break console_lock.
>
> yes, i've been thinking about other locks as well. We need some kind of
> runtime registering for static spinlocks and we have to break them all.
> Or, like earlier NMI-watchdog patches did, we can halt the whole system
> and print out the first oops. (so one has a chance to write it down from
> screen)

How about using a new ELF section for this that simply contains a reference
to the spinlock counter (similar to the trick used by the user space access
functions)? Should be rather easy to implement.

-Andi