Re: Euro symbol

H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
19 Apr 1998 23:09:13 GMT

Followup to: <6hduh0$9im$1@melchior.cuivre.fr.eu.org>
By author: thomas@Cuivre.FR.EU.ORG (Thomas Quinot)
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> In article <Pine.GSO.3.96.980417141820.874A-100000@achille>,
> Cyrille Chepelov <chepelov@rip.ens-cachan.fr> wrote:
>
> >the official English name) to amend the 8859-1 in order to replace
> >character 10/04 : CURRENCY SIGN into 10/04 : EURO SIGN (that's 0xA0)
> >(among others), as in http://www.stri.is/TC304/Euro/ISOIEC8859 .
>
> This change was implemented in ISO (F)DIS 8859-15
> "latin alphabet #0", which has already passed committee vote.
> Final vote is scheduled for 199807, and is likely to pass.

I hope you mean 0xA4. Getting rid of the "sol" character is certainly
a win.

I'm surprised, though, that they didn't ditch the rather useless
multiplication and division signs in the middle of the letters for OE
and oe, which is what they really should have been in the first place.

I would personally much rather see × and ÷ recycled than the
occationally useful ± character. Getting rid of the spacing
diacritics is no loss, however.

It would be interesting to know which of the two proposed forms of
Latin-0 is making it to ballot? Second of all, I would like to
suggest that Linux changes its default character set to Latin-0.

-hpa

--
    PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD  1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
    See http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/ for web page and full PGP public key