Re: AWE64G PNP Help

Tony Toole (linuxlists@usa.net)
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 12:45:36 -0700

At 05:56 PM 4/19/98 +0200, Anders Hammarquist wrote:

Hello,

>>I'm currently trying to get my AWE64G card working under Linux (2.1.96)
>>and am having some problems..
>>
>>Firstly, since this is a PNP device, I'm assuming I have to use isapnp to
>>configure it, but I haven't the foggiest clue on how to go about this.
>
>Yes, unless your BIOS configures it for you (and even then, you have to
>guess where it ended up, and the BIOS may do it wrong). Start by running
>pnpdump, this will give you a list of your PNP hardware with suggested
>configurations. Uncomment one variant for each device function. The "AWE"
>portion of the card can be a bit difficult for pnpdump to get right. My
>config (AWE32, but afaik the hardware is essentially the same) for the "AWE"
>function is:
>
>(CONFIGURE CTL0044/269460895 (LD 2
># ANSI string -->WaveTable<--
>(IO 0 (BASE 0x0620))
>(IO 1 (BASE 0x0a20))
>(IO 2 (BASE 0x0e20))
>(ACT Y)
>))

I'll try this out.. pnpdump only shows (IO 0 (BASE 0x0620)), and not the
other two.. Perhaps a misreport?
Anyways, the awe_wave.o keeps on saying I have no AWE32, so it may be the
problem... Thanks. :)

>After you have chosen configurations run isapnp on the file. (You probably
>want to do this at automatically at boot. Debian systems do this if you call
>your config file /etc/isapnp.conf. I would guess Redhat is similar.)
>
>Next is the configuration of the sound driver. I would recommend using
>modules+kmod for automatic loading (works well here now). I have configured
>support for the soundblaster, generic OPL2/3, YM3812/OPL-3 and AWE32 and
>it seems to be working (haven't tried using the OPL3 though). In your
>/etc/conf.modules, you need to enter the addresses etc. for your config.
>Also, you need to add aliases so that modprobe can find your sound card.
>My config:
>
>alias char-major-14 sb
># load the "sb" module when something wants to use the sound device
>alias synth0 awe_wave
># load the "awe_wave" modules when something wants to use the sequencer
device

>post-install awe_wave /sbin/modprobe -k adlib_card
>pre-remove awe_wave /sbin/modprobe -r adlib_card
># After loading awe_wave, also load adlib_card in case something wants to
># use the OPL3
>options sb -k io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
># io is "IO 0" from isapnp.conf "Audio" function , mpu_io is "IO 1"
># dma is "DMA 0" and dma16 is "DMA 1"
>options adlib_card io=0x388
># io is "IO 2" from isapnp.conf "Audio" function

Great! This will make life easier! I'll implement that also.. Again,
thanks. ;)

If I run accross any more problems, I'll surly post it.. This list is
extreamly helpfull.. ;)

BTW: It's neet how Eudora Pro 3.03 works under WINE.. ;)

Anyways, I'm off to try the suggestions!