Re: Counting System Calls

Jacques Gelinas (jack@solucorp.qc.ca)
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 13:10:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, MOLNAR Ingo wrote:

> > >no kernel change needed, eg. try:
> > >
> > > strace -c -S calls w
> >
> > That counts a single process' calls. I was thinking about
> > count of all system calls (summed across all processes) from boot-up
> > on. This would be a useful tool in the context of the proposed
> > modular system call mechanism.
>
> ah, i understand.
>
> but there is a granularity problem i think. With modules we 'waste' about
> 2K per module due to 4K page sizes. (every module has to have it's own set
> of pages). With 183 syscalls we'd waste much more 'partial pages', about
> 183*2K=366K resident memory, brrr.

Module need to have their own set of page because it is easier to insert
and remove them. We could have a switch in insmod called --permanent and
then modules would be packed in memory without wasting some pages. I have
not tried it though. Given that insmod is a dynamic linker, it has no
problem relocating a module on non-page boundary.