Re: init is pid 1 vs. initrd

Raul Miller (rdm@test.legislate.com)
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 22:20:29 -0400

H. Peter Anvin <hpa@transmeta.com> wrote:
> I just don't understand why you insist on doing it the hard way. All
> of this is more complexity and doesn't add any generality, so why
> bother?

It would be more than a little nice to have a temporary root paritition
for initialization purposes which was on a hard disk, yet which could be
manipulated normally after the system has booted up. Then it's possible
to include a bunch of contingency stuff (maybe even documentation) that
under normal circumstances you never bother with.

[Also, my last message was unnecessarily horrid. Something more like

mount -o pivot /dev/... /
exec /sbin/init
# pivot complete

would do just fine