Re: symlinks.

Tim Smith (tzs@halcyon.com)
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 14:02:29 -0700

At 09:32 AM 4/14/98 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>Changing it to iterate would be fine, but is much harder to do than it
>initially looks. If you do change it, make _sure_ that recursive symlinks
>work in the _middle_ of a symlink traversal - ie you cannot and must not
>do symlinks as "tailcall recursion" because while that actually works for
>a huge percentage of how symlinks are used it is not how symlinks actually
>work.

Is there a list somewhere that gives examples of all the cases that one has
to handle when dealing with symlinks? Ideal would be a shell script that
creats a small directory tree with examples of all the cases. Symlink
handling
seems to me to be a lot easier than this discussion makes it sound, so I
suspect
I'm completely overlooking some major difficult case.

--Tim Smith