Re: beos-bootloader? (fwd)

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 19:23:06 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998 linker@nightshade.ml.org wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Richard Stallman wrote:
> [SNIP]
> > Also, it would make sense to ask, "Is this software useful for the
> > free software community"? If it can't be of any use except on BeOS,

Their filesystem concept is _very_ useful. AFAIK, their filesystem
is a transactional database of both metadata and data, while the
BSD-FFS derivatives are just metadata databases, with pointers into
a non-transactional data area.

> > then its usefulness to us is limited. And if the idea is that Be will
> > make some program free, perhaps it is best just to insist "Make the
> > program that uses our code free".
>
> I imageine the best thing for all parties would be for Be to make their
> kernel free.

[SNIP]

> Furthermore, even if they did not *copy* code in the kernel proper.. I'de
> like to know what *ideas* they borrowed.. :) (i.e. they didn't just take
> the code, but they took the concept)..

That's no problem, since we don't patent any of our algorithms :-)

Furthermore, Be has published all of it's philosophies and ideas
used in their system...

Rik.