Re: Getting serial.c to share it's interrupts.

Thomas Sailer (sailer@ife.ee.ethz.ch)
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 10:47:15 +0200

tzanger wrote:

> as far as I can recall the actual carrier speed of all modems nowadays is
> only 9600 baud, but the use of more and more complex constellation patterns
> is what gives you the higher than 9600 baud speeds.

It's even less than that, it has to, as telephone lines are said to
cut off at approx 3kHz. 9600bd would give you roughly 5kHz bandwidth,
which doesn't fit into the phone line. The symbol rate (baud rate)
is AFAIR slighly less than 4k.

Tom