Re: X (was Re: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux)

Dirk H Hohndel (hohndel@suse.de)
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 19:07:51 +0100

> On 26 Mar 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> > - I think that X is good enough. Yes, X is larger than some people
> > like, and it could be faster. But X has a lot of good features that
> > make it better than any of the alternatives I've seen so far.
>
> There are a few problems with X, one major issue being that it is no
> longer free software (AFAIK the Open Group decided to make X11R6.4 free
> for non-commercial use only). If we want Linux to have a chance anywhere
> besides home and school use, X can't be the only choice.

I have read this a number of times now, but repetition doesn't change
the fact that this is wrong. XFree86 will continue to be free software.
We are in discussions with TOG about the issues with the new licensing
scheme, but Metro Link and The XFree86 Project, Inc. will make sure
that X continues to be available to the Linux community (and the rest
of the supported platforms) just like it is today.

> I'm not saying GGI is the absolutely right approach (don't know it well
> enough to claim it is or isn't), but we do need better non-X support for
> graphics cards (especially considering graphics cards without a text mode
> - - a Linux user wouldn't buy them, but a Windoze user is in many cases just
> a potential Linux user who doesn't know better. ;)

I won't comment on this except saying that the legal status of X is
not an argument you can use in this context.

Dirk

PS: I am not on linux-kernel, so if you want me to see responses,
please Cc me.

PPS: I happen to be Vice President of The XFree86 Project, Inc, which
I add to indicate that I know what I am talking about (which is of
course a silly assumption, to begin with).