Re: more memory => zombies and high load

Kai Schulte (kai@eclipse.asta.uni-essen.de)
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 00:27:42 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Pawel S. Veselov wrote:

> Recently I added 64Mb more memory to my pc, and now have 96Mb. Very nice,
> I don't hear HD is moving for hours. But :
> 1) I've found a lot of zombies processes ( uptime is small enough, and
> nothing "non-standart" was happened )
> 2) average load is always higher than 3.00. As if just kernel adds "3"
> constant to this. Anyway, real load is not more than 0.3...

I had hung processes (all of them on writes) and an additional load
average of 1 for each of them (with 2.0.33) but it must have been due
to hardware problems:

I discovered that the cpu fan in the affected machine had jammed and
the processor was too hot to touch. I dismantled the fan and put a
drop of oil in... no more hung writes ever since, and it's been running
for 20 days :)

Kai