Re: [2.1.90] Oops releasing/reloading mad16

Mon, 23 Mar 1998 00:47:08 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 22 Mar 1998, Robert Woodcock wrote:
[snip]

> The following commands went fine:
> mercury:/lib/modules/2.1.90/misc# insmod sound
> mercury:/lib/modules/2.1.90/misc# insmod ad1848
> mercury:/lib/modules/2.1.90/misc# insmod uart401
> # Hey I was just trying to make it happy :)
> # Scary thing is it actually detected something SB-like at 0x220
> mercury:/lib/modules/2.1.90/misc# insmod sb io=0x220 irq=0 dma=0
> mercury:/lib/modules/2.1.90/misc# insmod mad16 io=0x530 irq=10 dma=1
>
> And then sound works great.
>
> Upon rmmoding the mad16 driver, I got a "Trying to free free IRQ10"
> message.

Hmm, I get this exact error with the SoundScape module and friends (well
it's irq 5 ;). The only modules I have in common with you are the ad1848,
and sound (well I also have mpu401, but it's not exactly the same as
uart401). I see the mod_use_count at 1 for ad1848 even when I'm not using
the sound driver at all, and there are irqs, ioports and dmas allocated
(1, 2 and 1 respectivly).

lsdev:

Device DMA IRQ Ports
0 0
cascade 4 2
dma 0080-008f
dma1 0000-001f
dma2 00c0-00df
fpu 13 00f0-00ff
ide0 14 01f0-01f7 03f6-03f6 ffa0-ffa7
ide1 15 0170-0177 0376-0376 ffa8-ffaf
ide2 11 01e8-01ef 03ee-03ee
keyboard 1 0060-006f
mpu401 0330-0331
pic1 0020-003f
pic2 00a0-00bf
PS/2 12
rtc 8 0070-007f
serial 4 03f8-03ff
SoundScape 0 5 0332-0337 0534-0537
timer 0 0040-005f
vga+ 03c0-03df

lsmod:

Module Size Used by
ppp 19152 1 (autoclean)
slhc 4412 1 (autoclean) [ppp]
serial 17928 1 (autoclean)
psaux 2124 1 (autoclean)
nls_iso8859-1 2012 4 (autoclean)
nls_cp437 3536 4 (autoclean)
vfat 13664 4 (autoclean)
fat 24296 4 (autoclean) [vfat]
sscape 5340 0
ad1848 14204 1 [sscape]
mpu401 17596 0 [sscape]
sound 62336 0 [sscape ad1848 mpu401]

> I tried to do "cat /proc/interrupts" and got an Oops each time,
> which I failed to record in any way :(

Yep, things get interesting when I try to force it out of memory.

> I can't find anything near c07bc764 or c1d1bf80 in my System.map - it tops
> out at c02125d4.

That'll be because it's in a module.

> Also, are there any plans for a piece of documentation that lists all
> module options and what they do, kind of like the BootPrompt HOWTO? Or am
> I just blind haven't seen it?

Hmm, the answer is usally 'use the source luke' ;), but at this stage
there proberbly should be something put together for 2.2.

> If not, I'd be willing to help maintain such
> a document. It'd be very very useful for at least me.

Ahh, a willing victi^H^H^H^H^Hvolunteer we're always glad to see them. If
anyone is working on that (or to start you off ;), the soundscape one
should go something like this:

All options go to the sscape module, like so:

options sscape io=0x534 irq=5 dma=1 mpu_io=0x330 mpu_irq=9

param meaning
----- -------
io the wave port from the dos/doze util
irq the irp associated with the wave port
dma only uses one dma, this is it
mpu_io the midi port
mpu_irq the irq associated with the midi port

required modules
module config option
------ -------------
sound Sound card support
mpu401 MPU-401 support (NOT for SB16)
ad1848 Microsoft Sound System support
sscape Ensoniq SoundScape support

hmm, if the card/driver dependances get fixed, we won't need the last
part, because I won't have to turn on extra options to get the modules I
need built.

Bryn
- --
PGP Pub key http://www.gytha.demon.co.uk/pubkey.asc ID: 1024/30AF2D69
On-line, adj.: FP: FC 4E 41 9E 64 C3 AB 28 A3 5A 57 F8 CC D9 A7 B8
The idea that a human being should always be accessible to a computer.