Re: tcp_do_sendmsg()

Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@ibm.net)
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 18:46:36 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 22 Mar 1998, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> Dave,
> The information I just received when you answered another about the
> checksum problem fixes the problem with `vi` not working via rlogin,
> but working via telnet. Aparently telnet pads to even character counts.
>
> I modified the sources on both for my Pentiums (one of which is SMP),
> and the rlogin problem is gone.
>
> Cheers,
> Dick Johnson

I'll second this. Originally, I was seeing horrendous lag-behind on
rlogin sessions. After applying the two little patches from David,
everything is just about back to where it should be on interactive
sessions. On the other hand, TCP performance is markedly improved - nice
work David!

However, netscape is behaving very strangely. It seems snappy enough when
you're interacting with it, but if you flip screens and come back it gets
comatose and takes its time redrawing. This is much better after the
latest fix, but I never saw anything like it prior to 2.1.90.

I hate to nitpick, though, as everything else works much, much better.

Steve