Re: Cdu31a cdaudio playing is broken ?

Erik Andersen (andersen@inconnect.com)
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 15:19:23 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > I think it looks like the driver is broken or something ? Maybe
> > it broke when it was converted to uniform cd ? And dont come and say
>
> I think so
>
> > it's my cdplaying program , because I can use it just fine with ide-cd ;).
> > Hmm.... I should probaly mention that you still can mount cdroms as usual
> > anyway , so the driver is not completly broken.
>
> Trying to use an sbpcd drive for mixed audio and mounting of filestore
> work has also been badly broken since the change over and the driver also
> locks up in some failure cases. This is extremely bad given Linux is
> normally distributed on CDROM. Whoever perpetrated this "port" also
> appears to no longer have an sb cdrom unfortunately
>
> Alan

I am afraid I have never had a cdu31a (Hardware contributions welcome),
so the port to uniform was done rather blindly, with most of the work
being contributed by Heiko Eissfeldt <heiko@colossus.escape.de>. Also,
when I did the sbpcd port, I had borrowed an sbpcd drive from my work.
After a week, the I.S. people wanted it back, and all patches since then
have been contributions (Mostly all by Heiko as well). Not to despair
though, since I recently went out and bought one (an sbpcd compatable) at
a used computer store for $20US (too much), and I just got it into my
machine the other day. All I have done with it so far is to install
the thing in my box and mount a CD (which worked just fine with kernel
2.1.90). So, now that I have an sbpcd drive, exactly what are the
problems with sbpcd?

BTW, anybody know where one would look to find docs on sbpcd compatable
drives?

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/