Re: CDROM_SELECT_SPEED interface problem

Erik Andersen (andersen@inconnect.com)
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 11:06:07 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > ...The value of speed specifies the head-speed of the
> > drive, measured in units of kB/sec. So to request that a cdrom drive
> > operate at 706 kB/sec you would call the CDROM_SELECT_SPEED ioctl
> > with speed=706. The special value `0' means set the drive speed to
> > the maximum the drive supports. Additionally, all values below
> > 100 (but greater then 0) shall be treated as requests to set the
> > speed based on units of standard cdrom speed (177 kB/sec*speed).
> > To request that a cdrom drive operate at 354 kB/sec you could call
> > the CDROM_SELECT_SPEED ioctl with speed=2. Note that this special
> > interface for speed less then 100 is depricated, and may go away
> > in some future kernel release.
> >
> > How does this sound to everybody? Ok? Workable? Broken?
>
> Ugly. If this was only in 2.1.90, than simply break that. 2.1. is
> development, and we do not want such ugliness just because 2.1. binary
> compatibility. (But break it ASAP.) I really think that there's
> possiblity of 100x cdroms in few years.
>
> Pavel

Unfortunatly, this interface also exists in the 2.0.x series -- although
no drivers actually had this interface implemented... It might be better,
though, per your suggestion, to just define this interface to be kB/sec and
simply change it, as 2.1.x will be the first kernel where this interface is
actually used...

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/