Re: Printing with HP720C

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Johan_Myr=E9en?= (jem@vistacom.fi)
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 13:53:08 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Papagrigoriou Nikos wrote:

> Recently I bought an HP720C printer. But I cannot print under Linux. Is
> there any driver for this printer? Does anyone going to build a driver?

The 720C seems to be yet another "Windows Printer", which
means HP has simplified the printer by moving most of the
firmware to be run on the host PC. This means the printer does
not work like you expect printers to work: you send data to
the printer, and it prints it. Instead you need some complex
control software to operate the printer. HP probably also does
not provide documentation on how to control the printer, in
which case there is no hope you will ever be able to use this
printer with Linux. Sorry.

Johan Myreen
jem@iki.fi