Re: hda: unexpected_intr: status=0xd0 { Busy }

ketil@ii.uib.no
20 Mar 1998 09:29:53 +0100

Rik van Riel <H.H.vanRiel@fys.ruu.nl> writes:

[IDE not ready error..]

> > In my experience, it's a sign of impending drive failure. I advise
> > replacing that hard drive as soon as possible. I have never seen these
> > messages caused by a bad controller.

> I have... It could be a sign of:
> - a too high PIO setting (in my case)
> - the drive hasn't spun up fast enough
> - an invalid compiler optimisation
> - ... something else I forgot ...

Couldn't it be a power-management spindown of the disk? I recently
inherited an old Compaq laptop, and when I turn on aggressive power
saving, I get that a lot (and the process consequently hangs a few secs
while the disk spins up)

The fun thing is, I get about the same battery life when I turn off the
power saving features (which include halved CPU speed and disk
spindown).

~kzm