Re: [2.1.90-final] Kernel won't boot from [EZD] partition

Marek Habersack (grendel@vip.maestro.com.pl)
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 10:34:06 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Clayton Weaver wrote:

> I don't know that Linux can read a DrivePro drive.
It's just an EZ-Drive partition with the drive geometry modified with the
shift-2 technique.

> It could use linear in lilo.conf instead, but that probably isn't much
> help as far as getting from DrivePro remapped to there.
>
> My ancient technique on pre-lba 486 boards was to make a root partition
> that ends below cyl 1024, install the base distribution and an editor,
> edit lilo.conf and add "linear" to the global section up above the
> per-kernel sections, reboot.
I would do that, but the problem is that the drive has been paritioned before
I got it in my hands and there's A LOT of software installed on it (Winblowz
and Linux) and I DO want to avoid installing and configuring it...

> I've been using a 1600+ cyl connor eide drive this way for a couple of
> years, and the linear parameter to lilo was compatible with wd540 eide
> drives and doesn't bother my digital/quantum scsi drives, either. Should
> be fine with the Seagate (ps: check it with hdparm after everything is
> installed to see what kind of pio mode support you get).
That seagate is PIO3,4 and I have tested a similar HDD with the linear
parameter and it works just fine. That's not a problem to repartition and
configure a new drive like this, I was just hoping to plug the 2.1.90 in and
forget about the partitions... No can do, I'm afraid.

later, marek

---
A bird in the hand makes it awfully hard to blow your nose.