Re: NSS and glibc

Stefan Monnier (monnier+lists/linux/kernel/news/@TEQUILA.SYSTEMSZ.CS.YALE.EDU)
18 Mar 1998 18:33:06 -0500

Ulrich Drepper <drepper@cygnus.com> writes:
> Now the question: how does Sun solve this? Answer: they are not able
> to have statically linked programs use NSS. So what do you prefer?

What I prefer is:
1 - that things work as much as is possible (in this cas it means
to it should behave like Linux does: allow a second copy of libc
and similarly allow for non-PIC shared libraries)
2 - that inefficiencies (among other undesirable events) get pointed out.
This might happen at compile time, at run time or via some tool
(for instance I'd love to be able to determine whether library X
will require run-time relocation or not)

Stefan