Re: is gcc 2.8 safe to use yet ?

Marek Habersack (grendel@vip.maestro.com.pl)
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 00:06:59 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, James Mastros wrote:

> > Just a while ago I have compiled the 2.0.34-pre3 kernel with gcc 2.8.1 and
> > -m386 instead of -march=pentium and with -O2 -fomit... -fno-strength.. - the
> > effect is the same, X won't run.
>
> Odd... I've been running kernels with -O16 -mpentium -fomit-frame-pointer
> for quite some time (BTW - Yes, 12 is the highest optmisation level, but
> 16 is easyer for me to remember -- the atiomic weight of Oxygen is 16.)
> No problems here...
I've just tried it three times today and the X won't start... Say, perhaps it
has something to do with a distribution? In my case it's RH5 with all updates
(and more) applied - both at home and at work. When I reported it to
redhat-hurricane they told me it's a bug in 2.8.0. Hmm... but 2.8.1 doesn't
work for me as well...

l8r, marek

---
Democracy is a government where you can say what you think even if you
don't think.